The Generic DataBase Modeling Tool (GenDBM) uses the MDA approach to provide a database modeling environment for both relational and geographical models. It also uses the Generic Database Metamodel (GEDBM) which gathers concepts of the most used modeling languages and notations (ER, Crow's Foot, Min-Max, UML, OMT-G, etc.). The tool is able to. Design your database/data warehouse online ER Diagrams Subject Areas Database Options SqlDBM offers you an easy, convenient way to design your database absolutely anywhere on any browser, working away without need for any extra database engine or database modelling tools or apps.
Summary: in this tutorial, we first introduce you to an SQLite sample database. Then, we will give you the links to download the sample database and its diagram. At the end of the tutorial, we will show you how to connect to the sample database using the sqlite3 tool.
Introduction to chinook SQLite sample database
We provide you with the SQLite sample database named chinook. The chinook sample database is a good database for practicing with SQL, especially SQLite.
The following database diagram illustrates the chinook database tables and their relationships.
Chinook sample database tables
There are 11 tables in the chinook sample database.
employeestable stores employees data such as employee id, last name, first name, etc. It also has a field named
ReportsToto specify who reports to whom.
customerstable stores customers data.
invoice_itemstables: these two tables store invoice data. The
invoicestable stores invoice header data and the
invoice_itemstable stores the invoice line items data.
artiststable stores artists data. It is a simple table that contains only the artist id and name.
albumstable stores data about a list of tracks. Each album belongs to one artist. However, one artist may have multiple albums.
media_typestable stores media types such as MPEG audio and AAC audio files.
genrestable stores music types such as rock, jazz, metal, etc.
trackstable stores the data of songs. Each track belongs to one album.
playliststable store data about playlists. Each playlist contains a list of tracks. Each track may belong to multiple playlists. The relationship between the
trackstable is many-to-many. The
playlist_tracktable is used to reflect this relationship.
Download SQLite sample database
You can download the SQLite sample database using the following link.
In case you want to have the database diagram for reference, you can download both black&white and color versions in PDF format.
How to connect to SQLite sample database
The sample database file is ZIP format, therefore, you need to extract it to a folder, for example,
C:sqlitedb. The name of the file is
If you don’t have zip software installed, you can download a free zip software such as 7-zip.
First, use the command line program and navigate to the SQLite directory where the sqlite3.exe file is located:
Second, use the following command to connect to the
chinook sample database located in the
db folder, which is a subfolder of the
You should see the following command:
Third, try a simple command e.g., .tables to view all the tables available in the sample database.
Dbdesigner.net is an online database schema design and modeling tool. This app allows you to create a database without wiring a single SQL code.
- It has a user-friendly UI for designing database structure.
- The tool offers team collaboration & sharing of projects within your organization.
- It allows you to import an existing database or start from scratch.
- You can collaborate with your team and work on the model together.
- Dbdesigner.net helps you to export your database in PNG and PDF file formats.
4) Visual Paradigm
Visual Paradigm is a database design and management tool. This software helps the product development team to build applications faster.
- It has a Drag-and-drop diagram editor.
- This tool enables you to export the database from ERD (Entity Relationship Diagram).
- It contains REST API for designing a database.
- You can work with your team on the same project simultaneously.
- Visual Paradigm enables you to build your report.
- It provides a wizard to make a database step by step.
- You can use Visual Paradigm on Windows, macOS, and Linux OS.
5) Erwin Data Modeler
Erwin is a tool which is used to create logical, physical, and conceptual data models. It provides centralize model management to business and technical users.
- It allows you to extract data from CRM, ERP, etc. for accurate modeling.
- Erwin Data Modeler has easy to use graphical environment.
- It automatically compares the model and database.
- You can manage structured and unstructured data from any database.
6) Moon Modeler
Moon Modeler is a tool for designing MariaDB and other databases. It enables you to draw diagrams and generate SQL server code.
- It enables you to design a nested structure for designing a database.
- This tool has predefined settings that help you to draw data models efficiently.
- You can export diagrams to printable PDF format.
- You can download this app for Windows or Linux.
- It helps you in creating ERD.
Lucidchart is a HTML5 based tool that allows you to create a complex database diagram. You can permanently delete any data or diagrams associated with your enterprise account.
- This tool allows you to connect live data with your diagrams.
- Lucidchart keeps your diagram secure using encryption.
- It is Integrated seamlessly with MS Office, G Suite, Atlassian (Issue tracking app), etc.
- You can work with your team on any device across various platforms.
- It helps you to easily manage user accounts.
- You can import data to automatically build organization charts.
QuickDBD is a program that helps you to quickly draw a database diagram. It helps you to make your document looks professional.
- You can share your diagrams online.
- It enables you to draw schema (database structure) without leaving your keyboard.
- This tool has a user-friendly GUI.
- Diagrams can be dawn by typing.
9) Toad World
Toad World is a database modeling software that helps you to tune application performance using an automated query rewriting facility. This software manages code change and promotes the highest levels of quality.
- Access key data quickly for analysis.
- It can easily identify differences by comparing and syncing servers, data, and schemas.
- Rollback transactions directly from the transaction log without need to restore from a backup.
- Get powerful query tuning capabilities.
- Execute scripts and T-SQL snippets for numerous instances and servers.
- Automate repetitive processes like data and schema comparisons.
Dataedo is an app that enables you to create data dictionaries, ER diagrams, and document server scripts. It enables you to easily document your relational databases.
- You can share documentation in interactive HTML.
- It helps you to visualize your data with database diagrams.
- This tool allows you to add meaningful information about your database.
- It enables you to share documents in PDF, Excel, and HTML file formats.
- You can create table relationships (One to one, one to many, and many to many) with ease.
Vertabelo is online visual database design tool. It helps you to design your database at a logical and physical level.
- You can access database models anytime.
- It enables you to import an existing database.
- Vertabelo allows you to share the model with three access levels, like the owner, editor, or viewer.
- You can generate SQL script to create or remove elements from the database.
- Vertabelo automatically set the diagram layout.
- This app helps you to validate your model and workflow.
- You can provide a public link to your clients or partner so that they can view your design.
DModelAid is an online program for documenting database design in an interactive diagram. It helps you to retrieve large amounts of records from the database using SQL queries.
- You can visualize a table with tables with keys, indexes, and relationships.
- It supports keyboard shortcuts for easy access.
- This tool automatically documents your database project.
- You can create a project with Oracle, SQLite, MySQL, etc.
- DModelAid enables you to export script from the project to create the physical database.
- You can change the database any time you like, and it will map with the data type.
SchemaSpy is a Java-based software that analyzes the metadata of a schema in your database. It helps you to simplify the database designing process.
- It supports JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) compliant DBMS.
- You can generate ER diagram for foreign keys.
- Schemaspy can produce database to HTML.
DbSchema is a program that helps you to visually design, document, and manages a relational database. One schema can be used for multiple databases.
- You can deploy one schema on more than one server.
- The migration of database schema between different versions is possible.
- It helps you to design database structure offline.
- A large database can be split into groups of tables.
- This tool allows you to generate HTML5 documentation.
- You can explore data from tables visually.
- It can accept more than 10000 tables per database.
- You can share the design of the schema in a team via email.
DeZign diagramming that tool allows you to visualize your data structures to create a new database. This app also helps you to understand your existing database tables and relationships.
- It provides easy to use and robust data modeling tool for developers.
- You can use this tool to visually make Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD).
- Navigate large diagram with pan and zoom window.
- It supports a range of data modeling techniques.
- The latest version of this tool helps you to reduce faults in database development.
- DeZign uses ERD to graphically design database.
- Exporting diagrams to bitmap, PNG, JPEG, and GIF is possible.
16) Database Designer for MySQL
Database Designer for MySQL is a program that helps you to construct build a graphical representation of tables and relationships.
- You can create and maintain the database effortlessly.
- It can generate reports that describe database objects within a diagram.
- It allows you to edit entity relationship diagram.
- Customization of diagrams and object appearance is possible.
- You can export a diagram to numerous formats, including BMP, JPEG, PNG, and more.
- Database Designer for MySQL helps you to edit and execute SQL scripts.
- Supports views (Virtual table), stored procedures (Set of SQL statements).
- This tool has a built-in database connection manager.
Mac pro mid 2010 os. Draw.IO is a free online diagram design tool. It helps you to create and manage the drawing easily. This app is compatible with all browsers like Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- No limit on the number of sizes.
- It allows you to save the model in your preferred location.
- This app provides a drag and drop feature.
- You can create a wide range of database diagrams, including UML (Unified Modeling Language), ERD, and much more.
- It provides readymade templates to design a database.
- You can work online and offline.
- Draw.io can be accessed from desktop and mobile devices.
DbWrench is cross-platform database software. It enables you to review and compare databases. This tool can create HTML documentation of database designs.
- You can create and modify a database quickly.
- This tool contains numerous readymade templates.
- Dbwrench can be run on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- It has a navigator window to work with large diagrams.
- This tool can highlight SQL syntax.
- You can insert and update table rows and columns with automatically generated forms.
- This tool can be used to draw entity relationship diagram.
- It helps you to edit and execute SQL statements.